Sunday, October 27, 2019

SONG TWO: DISMEMBERED


SONG TWO:
DISMEMBERED



Arriving


Sounds drop on me like stones and pound my ears
Round rocks falling with no rhythm against
my unshielded face and make me cry out 
to currents to lift me and rush far away
                        just away          leaving             somewhere else                        beyond

I can’t stop the bruising blaring cascade
I hurt deep down and I can barely move
A red-eyed rat gnaws at my frail middle
and only sleep drives the red rat away
I want to thaw out but the air swirls cold
I want to swim but cannot raise my head

                                    Looking down on a green and quiet sea
                                    Struggling to dive deep – stroking out and free
                                    Looking down to find the current flowing
                                                but too far to call the drift’s direction
                                    I bellow thunder to shake the water
                                                listening for an echo –   ripples’ reply – 
                                                some answer to my hovering cloudy mind
                                                but only green silence shimmers beneath
                                    Somehow the dead quiet brings strange relief


                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gray shapes fly and flutter flashing radiance
Middle-straight, my head soaks in sweetest air
            but then a face spills dank and sour blowing
I hear rustling hums but they make no sense 
I make outcries but none seem to hear 
My fussing whirs and spits and goes nowhere
Other voices fall like dirt clods tumbling
            heavy on my head – landing hard and flat
Every sound I make, punctured, airless, stiff, black

Some times I remember I’m still flowing
                        out and away on a night-tide rhythm
I melt into water              I am all gone
                        no one                all forgotten        nowhere else        done
Small bits of me glitter in the current
                        slant and sink wide below to shaded green
Tiny shreds streaked and striped shine and drift down
                        familiar-colored swirling scraps of me 



Some times the rat in my gut falls asleep
Some thing chilled and wet touches my tired face
The sea flares up to stars’ cold distant light
It’s getting harder to remember them
I rock back and forth between wake and sleep
A blue-gray vapor folds my mist inside
            where thinking recedes to deep water gone

I am tired of trying to find the sea
Swimming stops and with it small bits of me
            that I knew once but can no longer hold
I grow curious about this stony place
            and since I can no longer find the shore
I explore the mirror that is water
            the eyes that look at me and do not blink

                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I start to notice buzzing in my head
            a high single note – a singularity
This humming infinitely dense
a great matter of wisdom not my own
The humming tells me what is safe and not
The drone has no words but lends me judgment
When things are held out toward me, the tone tells
            me when to take and when to push away
When I am tired, the hum tells me to sleep
When my middle hurts, the buzz tells me, eat.

I want to meet the one who makes this sound
We should be together – we are alike
But no matter how quick I turn I can
never see who is humming close to me
and so I just listen and hope to see

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One day, one who calls himself my father
takes me to a wide place to pull up fish
First, he lays me face up on the water
swirling me like the currents used to do
Who is this one who holds back the river?
All the sounds in my mouth cannot name this
Now I crouch on the edge peering into
water copper-black running very fast
I try to see below but I cannot
I remember flashes of older water
Now I am free – swimming fast, stroking down 
back to the old  place I just dis-membered
where the singing ghost split me in two and
the specter urged me closer to the edge
the sound growing louder as I approach
It’s drowning out all the other voices
I squat closer to the brink and listen
to the water’s many singing voices

Then . . .

One second I am breathing, looking down
The next tick I am sliding, losing breath
dark water rushes - pulls me down into
deeper water streaming – choking - no-breath 
turning - grasping – drowning - nothing holding
slow motion blurred shapes under darker gold
and then the tree reaches out and grabs me
pulling me down                        deeper into water
tangled in branches too deep for him to reach
Deep in the water               Deep in the darkness
Alive                 Not breathing                   I can see the stars
Tree opens its mouth and whispers my name
I relax and listen, floating again
as tree tells about the long run to sea
the winds and the storms                  the long sail to be

My black hull cuts deep in the broad-backed sea
Moonlight shimmers, scatters white-crested waves
my body wave-washed and wind at my back,
my breath all exhaled sailing on in black
borderless places -- the star lands of home
forgetting the tether,smallness, and stones
re-membering great winds and great wild unknown
The Darkness                  The Sounding                   long downwind run

Asudden gasping I’m ripped pulled and dragged
out of the sea’s love            and wriggling in air
choking breath spasms and arching toward sky
thrown down yet again               dark, small, but alive
He gathers me up, lays me down, blows air
into me choking on water and air
I thrash and cry as           clear sound fades away
lying broken with him     with him, not of him
pulling away from his warm shore, I lie
rooted, immobile – stone stopped by his hands
gone the fair sea winds –   I don’t understand 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        I stand outside the white house where I’m fed
                                    standing in yellow grass flat to the sky
                                    sparks in my wet hair from storm just passed by
                        Now raindrops stop and thunder rolls away
                        Leaves slip droplets disturbing brown puddles
                                    mirror my rippling face and the white clouds
                        Like a small lake, the puddles have shores and
water to sail my twig-wood boat while I
                                    make myself small on its long narrow deck 
                        A leaf drops alongside my small brown ship
                                    carrying a blue dragonfly with clear 
rainbow wings sailing just the same as me

                        Side by side we travel, blue dragon and me
                        Sweet air and wide water under our wings 
I can see a map of a distant place
                                    great magic across the blue dragon’s sea
                        This indigo body holds some secrets
If I touch, the wings will carry me there
                        I reach out, caress him ever so light
                        Vibration of wings and quickly takes flight

                        So, I leave the puddle, twig boat aground
                        I look up and see blue dragon flying
                                    into purple sundown skies where I’m not
                        But later at night in dreams I will soar
                                    far away from this grounded place where tongues
                                    of winged dragons unspoken, not known
                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A crow is cawing shrilly overhead 
                                    saying, “Come! Hurry up and follow me!”
                        Her black and rainbow wings flash so fast that
soon she has flown far ahead – when I run 
fast behind and see her settle onto
                                    an apple tree branch and fluff her feathers
                                    She pities poor me, wingless, on the ground.
                        Her black wings bring her where she wants to go
                        So much better than standing here below
                        I walk round the tree thinking how to rise
                                    but the branches are high and no matter 
how I jump and try, the coarse tree bark scrapes 
my tender skin and how to be with her 
I can’t begin to think I cannot fly
                                    so, I slump down on the grass, and she blinks.
                        As I sit still and watch her, I open
and see I am with her, though my body 
can’t be - I’m flying now so easily
                                    Inside my crow’s dark skin, I feel dragon’s 
blue wings spread out dazzling, gossamer thin

                        I feel letters and words trickling through my 
veins, close as blood, hard as stones, raising me
                                    voiceless, welcoming and restful, listening  to
these new sounds sliding inside a still pool

                        I sit straight trying hard to understand 
ants swarming on a rough-white page, not a
stripe out of place, not a pointless stroke made

                        The swirls and tracks too quiet make me want 
to shout, “Go away!  Let me out!” I bear
                                    emptiness, exhaustion, left far behind
                                    Sitting up straight when I want to run
                        No one knows the sonorous rhymes tickling 
my mind – they recite – I listen inside

                        Someone I know tells me to go away
                        I’m sad. I’m tired. But I don’t want to sleep
                        Maybe I’ll walk out and stay with that tree
                                    sitting slight under leaves maybe I’ll see 
enough to help me forget where I’m now
                                    but I’m beginning to think there’s no way 
out so I’ll turn small and round out of the way 
on river bottom, grand seed that I was
I walk alone and listen to stories
            very good stories that I tell myself
            about a charming someone who’s coming soon 
All I must do is wait, watch, and be here
            when over that hill the one will appear
This lovely story a certain secret
            I never told -never - not even once
            because then all of it would disappear
Alone again, staring in that mirror

When the one I wait for finally comes
We’ll wear black with gold threads, ride fast horses
            Long hair, manes, and tails streaming behind
We won’t have to speak. We’ll know in our minds
the love we’ll hide in a ruby red case

I must not stop watching, but I now decide
I’ll take the dream, put it in a silver 
bowl and make a fire with black clouds of smoke
so the one who’s coming can find the way

For now, I walk listening to the story
            the sun is going down - I can barely 
see the hill and no one is riding fast
toward me, the one who is waiting, only
black tree limbs painted on the darkening sky
and me, telling the story, asking why

                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dipping a tender toe into the stars
one delicate, pale naked toe plunges
with no fear, breaking the surface tension
sliding into the shimmering blue pool
Standing on one leg, naked in the chill 
I feel the edge of the stone under foot

Far out on the white moon-water, a mass
surges below the surface seeing warm
toe bravely breaking the water’s tightness
The vibration of the leviathan
Submerged toe in darkness, naked, waiting

Ripples glide out shattering the ashen moon 
The largest wave heaves toward the moonlit shore
It is coming for me huge with purpose
I plunge the foot - a beacon for this One

I hear a bellow resounding toward me 
I inhale the mist driven before it
I feel the light before I hear the sound

I hold steady, resolved, breathing
                                    Waiting     

No comments:

Post a Comment