Sunday, October 27, 2019

SONG EIGHT: ENDINGS AND TRANSITIONS



SONG 8
ENDINGS AND TRANSITIONS

            and pillow my muddled head on my knees
                        sobbing into my dark nauseous center
                        hollow, hopeless, and void of remedy
I rock myself cradling sorrow and regret
            two entwined vipers within my emptiness
I spend night’s last hours on the river bank
            swaying between exhaustion and fresh tears
I am ambered like an ant in resin
            I cannot sort out this nameless lesson

I have nowhere to go without my friend
I’m anchored to this place we walked as one
I want to stay – linger in the dying heat
If I leave this shore, I walk away from Hart
            forever – a dream I raised up, then drove off
            for a bottle and bad soup on a stove
Why didn’t I veer away instantly
            when we saw that puzzling water serpent?
How could I leave my only friend and run
            with that woman and her wicked madness?
I would go back and kill her if the thought
            of touching her did not revolt me so

But it wasn’t her – truly, it was me
            who hungered for her poison low and foul
She was just there -- conveniently at hand
I’m the one who left, going into dark
I’m the one who broke friend and my two hearts

I watch the sun rise and wonder why it does
Everything is finished.  Days meaningless
I did not see how fragile all this was
We are all just green tender onion plants
            open and ripe for harsh hands to uproot

At noon I think of going after Hart
At dusk I still sit and rock on the shore
When dark comes, I crawl into the red boat
            pulling a blanket and the canvas sail
                        over me wishing not to wake again
                        knowing I will, though I am two days dead

 Diving deeper into the watery void
             the sea’s weight presses on me like a stone
            hand over hand I follow to anchor’s rode
                        down      down      and deep to the floor of the sea
                        the rough steel links a forged weight and sinking
                        each one a question -- darkening thinking
At hull-crushing depth I find the anchor’s
claws clutching sand like dragon-gold talons
My ship rocks far above – ghost floating pale
            Her rigging stands soundless unmoved by wind
                        as she glides tethered under folded sail

No compass point to direct the right tack
The sea before me — the sea at my back

When I wake, I build a small warming fire
The wind blusters up and rain clouds hang low 
I squat huddled in a blanket staring
            at the red boat and all she could have been
Now she may as well be a funeral ship
            that ferries me to hell for what I’ve done
Hell can bring no worse than this betrayal
What more hideous scenes could I conjure up?
Instantly I answer this inquiry
            Nothing
                        anywhere
                                      ever again

The fire slow-burns to smoldering embers
I place a sturdy stick’s tip on the edge
and lay more sticks across the dying glow
I walk to the red boat’s bow and kneel there
            with the blackened stick and write four letters
                        on the starboard hull – repeat them on port
Each stick flickers and sparks – I grasp each one 
            by its unlit end and blow on the flames
                        as one by one I burn the four letters
                        scorching red paint to black on the hull’s wood
I smudge with fire to scar and cauterize
            with no hope to heal the wound coiled inside 
                        from what I have done and what will never be
So, now I have the heart to start again
            downriver – away from Hart’s memory

For some time more, I sit staring at Hart’s
            name seared onto the boat – letters ragged
            and uneven – much like I am right now
I push off when rain falls and thunder sounds
            close and low announcing plunging lightning’s 
                        jagged bolts trace paths across veiling clouds
            with forceful promises of drenching rain
                        as I set off due south on fire with pain

Soon I see the fatal inlet channel
            and pull hard to be clear of it and her
Once past the channel mouth I keep stroking
            putting distance, not forgiveness, between
The day’s rain falls steadily persistent
I receive it like an unsought blessing
            pouring ointment on my weary body
            deserted banks bind my central passage
                        pushing into unknown welcome waters
                                    on the rising current’s relentless back

An unseen watcher would see me drifting
            and think ‘what a fool’ – and it’s true – I am
Who but an outrageous fool would not see
            the risk of loss before its run began?
A more tender lookout might see me pass
            and call out and urge me to pull for shore
                        where I’d be treated as the homeless one
                                    in need of pity – which I surely am
But no one looks out from the river bank
No generous guide appears to set my course
This is as it should be for one like me
            I have charted maps to my own problems


            I have strewn -- now pilot -- my own debris

a thousand miles or more to that salt mouth
behind, a current I can’t beat against
ahead, a sea-course that only points south

For days I steer in the deepest channel
            eating little and sleeping even less
When the wind allows, the square-rigged canvas
            plows the boat’s nose deep into the river
                        leaving a white and turbid wake behind
When I fall asleep and graze the shallows
            I push my oar hard to faster running
When the current holds me, I sleep again
            dream of Hart, and but for me, what might have been

The sound of not is a bell in my ears
                                    slow-tolling this journey day after day
                                                pounding in my ears until blood appears
                                                            running warm down my neck coating my fears
                                                                        I hear faint echoes of the missing voice
                                                                        the weight of no one in the tarnished bed
                                                                        the wisp of breath lacks the beloved form
                                                                        the laugh in my eyes somewhere else, not here
                                                                        the white slate of dreams as dawn surges up

                        These absences shriek “not” in hollowed air
                                    “There is not time!  
  Do not turn back!  
  Do not go on!”
                        Lacking courage, I question, “Do I dare?
                                    and if I dare, how should I best begin?
                                    and beginning, how should I then proceed?
                                    and proceeding, how may I distinguish
                                                what is rightly done and what is not?”

                        I hear river-singing in triple voice 
These clear expressions may not sing for me
                        I see destiny’s fire, flame up and fall
                                    
“This is not what I meant at all
                                      This is not it at all”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One night I dream a Hart so real I swear
            he has forgiven me – come back to stay
            but when he speaks, it is not as I thought
“It is all right,” Hart says deep in the dream
            “You did what you could.  No one can do more.
              I will always see you here when you come.”
He’s not smiling but his voice is tender.

When I wake, my face feels wet – body flushed
Hart’s gone – never here – slipped away back there 
Days alone – gray squalls on the horizon
Snubbed waves’ lazy rhythm lap the boat
            I slouch in the red hull that keeps his name
                        as a marker so I will not betray
                                    one like him again and turn joy away

Where is the one I believed would soon come?
still listen to that oldest story
            I’ve told myself all my life – that legend
                        about the rescuer who is coming
                        if I simply wait and watch long enough
still ache for the one whose name is not
            is not Jani – is not Hart – is no name 
still howl like a fired, black-limbed forest 
            burning for hidden names that must exist
            
The climbing sun has me on edge, searching
            for the answer in the river’s body
I slip beneath its perfect skin – softening
            pores and hair sheathed tight and liquid pliant
                        more loyal than any living lover 
                                    coupled like a believer, pledged faithful

In the distance I hear a harbor bell
            ringing sadly against the blue-orange sky’s 
                        encircled morning stars’ soundless singing
I am alone as I have often been
Somehow, for now, this is exactly right
I may have imagined Jani and Hart
            the bright-learned teacher, but not that hag
None are here.  I can’t say definitely
                        that three ever were.  Still, I am alive
                        swimming in this river close by my ship
This is where I’ve always wanted to be
I’m the one who created this – not them

I float on my back, head turned to one side
            one ear underwater hears the river’s
                        submerged heart pumping its fluid pressure
            one ear toward stars’ humming constant measure
My body buoyant with my hands circling 
            just enough to keep me afloat, hovering
                        between two sounds making my own music
                        half-sung to stars and half-breathed to water
                                    I journey upon you – you bear me up
                                    I sound your depths – you light the middle way
                                    I drink deeply – you are not diminished
Answers begin to rise like clear bubbles
No judgments, inquiries or scrutiny
I’m forgiven for being this alive
            whatever I may gather in my time
I feel newborn and innocent – ready
                        to begin in this moment and the next
                        and the moment after that – fresh and sea-green
Water and sky and a good boat between
            where each day I simply enter the stream
I swim back to Hart, lightly loft aboard
No answers required about where I’ve been          
            no verdicts about persons I’ve seen

Unexpectedly
            spasms sour my stomach and I recall
                        the many stores and rations Hart has left
                        taking near nothing for his walk back north
Well, that was his decision and not mine
            I think as I lift the storage cover
            and pull out a firm red apple, bite deep
                        and let the sweet juice sliver down my chin
As I swallow, I remember Hart’s hand
            holding out the apple to that woman
                        a venomous worm to my contentment
“Keep your apple!” I shout out loud to Hart
            and fling the once-bitten fruit overboard
“I’ve swallowed the bitter juice of that time
            while you cowered and complained and dragged behind!
  Then you ran scared, leaving all we had planned!”

I set the oars, pull hard, heaving fiercely
I haven’t exactly convinced myself
            but I have enough direction to know
I will not be the one limping back North
            with my tail quivering between my legs
am heading South as first intended
am the one who keeps our hearts’ desires
While there is sky and water, this journey
is not ended

I row on into night’s sheltering dark
            finding strength from the purging of those three
I pay no attention to lack of sleep
Only river voice beneath, broad and deep
I drift and row in a half-waking state
            not knowing or caring where I end up
Steadily gaining southern latitudes
            aiming, adjusting my new attitude

At dawn, I pull up Hart on shore and beach
I step off my ship – sand covers my feet
Wrapping a blanket, I curl up at dawn


            with calm mind and empty gut fall asleep

The clock of noon rouses me on the sand
I rub my eyes and shake my arms and legs
            all parts complaining from the day before
            my hunger most of all moans and rumbles
Giving up disdain for Hart’s provisions
I rummage in the storage box to feed
            my weakened body and my ravaged mind
I sit on the stern bench rocking idly
I munch on carrots and stale rye-grain bread

Suddenly, a newer hunger rises 
I realize I have seen no people
            not least to say hello—a quick good day
Still, the taste of Hart and of that woman
            endure on my wounded mind’s attention 
Yet, I want to know how shore people 
            might spend days while my bow bobs on water
After eating, I decide to explore
To do this, I must secure my small ship
            so, I push off again and row relaxed
heading out to the river channel’s heart 
I am not hurried – nobody to meet
The current obliges flowing gently
I forego the walk along the shoreline
My body has hinged onto river rhythm
My heartbeats rest deeply in each moment
            beating time with the dripping wooden oars
Soaring above, seagulls call for no reason
obvious to me – gliding with their kind
Again, my thoughts turn toward cities’ people
The harbor bells that I have heard ahead
            grow louder as I row and I decide
                        to explore the next village or city
This creates a desire to walk firm ground
            and I row faster toward the ringing bells
Soon, I arrive at a stunning harbor
Larger craft and small at piers and moorings
            sailors on the bigger ships busily
                        attend to tasks I only imagine
                        but the lesser boats I do understand
Most of them possess sails all furled and quiet
Few of these vessels’ decks are occupied

I slide silent underneath a high dock
            and secure Hart tightly to a piling
            with enough line to swing out to a ladder
            stretching plumb from the pier to the water
I tie a stern line to the stout stairway
            open the box at the back of the boat
                        and take out the money that Hart and I
                                    squirrelled away and have used only little
I stuff the paper deep in my pocket
            climb up to the dock and walk away

My legs shake, my body wobbles walking
I’m surprised at how much the river rhythm
            has possessed my center’s hub through and through
Land and sand feel foreign, unforgiving
            of my feeble progress along the shore
I stop to let my swirling head settle
            and look out on the great ships riding high
                        and grand with sails folded and tied neatly
I realize that my boat is a tiny craft
            and that I am fortunate to come far
                        enough to see the river widen so 
                                    that the other shore is difficult to see
Suddenly, I feel a fool to ever 
think the red boat is a ship – no not that
            more like a raft, a platform with a sail
Certainly, those who’ve seen me shake their heads
            and to themselves call me crazy, stupid
So, I am, neither wise nor a sailor
            yet I’ve fancied myself a true captain
How deluded, a danger to myself
Maybe Hart was right to head back northward
            perhaps my behavior was all he needed
                        an excuse to end the unwise journey
But no, this is a rationalization
            for my careless, crude, horrid behavior
I have no one to blame but my own self
and in my heart, I ask true forgiveness
            though I did not see my treason toward Hart

All this deep thinking has allowed me time
            to gain my land legs to a loping gait
I feel in my pocket for the money
            nestled there like some charmed, quiet treasure 
                        which, indeed, it is, for unless I work
                        this is all there is between me and lost
                        strength, lost hope, and certain failure most dire
I ascend a staircase stretching from shore 
            to the city’s streets above so unknown
            yet tantalizing to the part of me
                        that I find myself nodding to strangers
                        and even smiling which surprises me
                        after all my self-criticism
Now, these other people bring happiness
            something I can’t remember when I’ve felt
            So strange that I find myself chuckling

I buy fruit, bread, and candy from street vendors
            store all in my pack slung from my shoulder
            Then explore the shops and their merchandise
I inspect my clothing and find it wanting
No wonder people passing looked at me
            with suspicious eyes and even malice  
I find a clothes seller, buy new garments
            and ask for my old wear to be thrown out

Back on the street, I decide it’s time to return to Hart.
I find that I do not know the way back

I retrace my path as best I can asking 
now and then, directions to the harbor
On the way, a rainstorm pours down the streets
driving people indoors huddling close 
I am so tired.  I just want to get back
to Hart, slip under canvas sail and sleep.  
Tears well up and spill down my sun-dried cheeks.  
Street lamps shimmer on, casting long shadows 
on pocked gray walls perspiring with the day’s 
accumulated warming and hard rain. 


Reaching the harbor, I take my bearings
and head for the pier where Hart is secured.  
I make a great effort not to stumble
I walk directly with grave intention 
but I spend the next hour hurrying down 
all the dead-end pier fingers; I grow more 
panicked as each row ends without Hart.  
Finally, I think I have the right row
Yes, this is it, I’m sure, sighing in relief
Stepping carefully down the straight ladder 
reaching for the stern line – find it missing
I search under, around, and far outward
Perhaps she’s come untied or I’ve come down 
the wrong pier again, but I am sure not
What thief would want to steal this tiny boat? 
Maybe I didn’t tie her well enough.

How could this happen!?  How could I lose both 
Hart and today the boat I gave his name!?  
The most unlikely answer leaps to mind.  
Hart has stolen the boat – I’m sure of it.
He followed me somehow to this moment
Hart spying on me hidden on the shore 
to see what wickedness to catch me in.  
The boat is in my sight every moment 
since we were separated, but today  
he had his only sly chance to steal it 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

“Oh sure! Blame Hart,” I say sarcastically 
to myself, “when I’m the true careless one.”  
I should have bought a lock – it’s all my fault
I slump down hard on the pier completely 
dejected and hopeless.  I sit rocking,
my knees against my chest gazing out on 
the river waters, wishing I rode her  
“At least I still have a little money,”
 (“Enough to buy a coach seat back to town,” 
suggests a frightened voice inside my head.)  
“No!” I say out loud and spit.  “No! Never!”  
But what instead I have no idea.  
(“You could go back and leave again later,”
            whispers the younger, frightened voice inside me.)
“Shut up!” I hiss at this much younger self.  
“I won’t go back!”  I bury my face between my knees.

“Do you make a habit of talking to yourself?”
            a deep voice questions from close behind me. 
I nearly fall off the pier in panic


as I skitter around to see who’s there

No comments:

Post a Comment