Sunday, October 27, 2019

SONG FOUR: SEPARATION



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SONG FOUR:

SEPARATION


Today I wake and know that time has come
Something out there and I must see its face
            beneath the chilled floor of this living place
                        stretched deep, narrowing to a blunt-end point
                                    sunken cellar, hollowed out muddy earth

As a child, I feared this earth-tapered vault
            and would not go down without someone else
                        with trap door open to let in the light
            trembling all the while until I emerged
Today, I must go in to bring it out
            some dark matter waits there for me, I’m sure
            some red and black force that will not surface
                        cannot reveal itself by law or choice
So, I must go in to harrow it out
            must dive in headfirst, submerge completely
            not dally scraping dirt along the edge
                        pull the door closed behind me, blocked by thin
                        wedge to be my latchkey when I ascend

I rush to the cellar straight from my bed
            long before all others wake to the day
                        and see what I’m doing – try to stop me
                        from going where I must go – now – today
The heavy slant door smells moist and mildewed
            as I slide the bolt back and lift the boards
            I breach the gloom, then jam a wooden wedge
            to allow a fingerhold but no light

Inside the muffled chamber all round dark
            my eyes strain for shape-shreds but none appear    
my scraping feet the only outer sound
Inside, my heart pounds blood against my ears
A clear way between shelves but narrow too
            I feel my way stooping toward the rear
            where the shelving stops and damp earth begins
            Here I sit, tuck my knees to chest – listen

My heartbeat thumping loud against my ears
Breath rustling in and out my nose hairs
I’m determined to hear the sound of what
            makes this hole its home – it must be right here!
At once fear roars up my throat hard and hot
            and sticks there in a choking lump swabbing
            all the wetness from my mouth – afraid, I
            try to quiet heart and breath to listen 

I am desperate to silence all my noise
Press breath down and quiet so I can hear
I assure myself that I can leave here
            when I choose – nothing stops me from going
now or later – but I want to get out 
            suddenly and be in the calming light
At last, I simply stay    and breathe      and wait

I recall and count the reasons I’m here
            One – I need a place where I am alone
                        away from shouting, noise and endless chores
When the others find me sitting, they make
                                    work for me as if thinking’s not allowed
                                    as if working takes dangerous thoughts away
            Two – when I ask why I must do as told
                        why what I am and do is not enough,
                        they say “forget it” or “strange question” and
                        I get no answers there – that’s why I’ve come
            Three – I don’t fit in – everyone says so
                        No one asks what I like or even care
                                    but I can’t help but ask for I must know
                                    must surface out of endless confusion      
                                    make sense of messages thatcome in dreams

I shake myself, relax, breathe in slowly
            Soon I am somewhat sure no cold corpse arms
                        will grab me and drag me deep under earth
            Whatever lives here doesn’t want to harm me
                        or I would already be dead or worse

Forcing relaxation, I notice thoughts
            tumbling over one another bumping
            interrupting until my attention
            bursts into fragments with no direction
            rather blocking logic and intention
Such stupidity’s annoying and must
            be tamed, so I view all this commotion
            like the confusing noises of people
                        I’m forced to listen to, so like with them
                        I tune my ears and muffle to a thrum
                        inside, the noises quiet to a hum

As sounds fade and retreat, I listen hard
            and the clatter dries up like a puddle
            then a high-pitched silvery note – fiery thin – 
like an airborne beacon that does not change
“What is that?” I ask listening close again
It sounds familiar like I should know it
I press my palms tight on my ears but this
            makes the note louder and I am surprised
            to find the sound not out there but within!
I turn fore and aft to find any change
            but all directions sound back just the same
            as I try standing, sitting, and lying down
The tone holds constantly one silver sound



I feel safe when listening to the silver
            as if it has always been here – not just
            now, but with me from before I came here
I could listen for hours to this sound core
            to this long, grace-note ring, sending steady
            clear, star-glazed radiance ringing down through me
I think this sound envelops what I want
            to know, so I listen harder and try
            to follow wherever the note goes
Now the pitch steadies deeper, dissolving
            thoughts into patterns that filter the crazy
            and ring truly to show me right and strong


Now rises an uncommon composition . . .

            I need to know too much that is not here
            Others can’t know and hide under laughter
            They point at me when they cannot explain
            I am different and that will not change

I sit up straight and frightened at this rush
            of these things I have known but could not say
            all the hints and hunches I’ve pushed away
Words tumbling out of darkness all at once
one silver resonance of certainty
every word a precious actuality
The note gathers up pieces and presses
            them into hard white stones and yellow pearls
            all hung glittering from unfurled white sails 
I glimpse what I quake to think I cannot 
do at all, and must be done all at once
This makes me dizzy and I start to sweat

Suddenly I need air – breeze on my face
I jump up from crouching and hit my head
            stumbling, crashing into shelves and toppling
            pots, bags tumbling, confusion in the dark
I lose my way and for a panic-stricken
            moment I cannot tell the one way out
            so, I feel my way along the damp walls
            until I reach the taller end and touch
            redeeming door where my body falls, rights

Relieved, I push but it does not open
It is stuck or blocked or something heavy
lies across it – in a panic, I push
with all my strength and one thin blink of light
an inch slips through the crack – the door crashes
a thud of darkness, my eyes still flaring
I am shut in – trapped – helpless – no one knows

A damp breath prickles cold all down my back
I am terrified, frozen, stunned, can’t move
I am dead – buried alive! – in my grave!
A whimper escapes in spite of myself
I clamp my mouth before I cry for help
I will not cry or scream and have them laugh
I will die here first and then they will find
            my bones poking through my rotting flesh and . . . 
“Stop it!” I warn myself out loud – me with
panicked baby voice about to burst out
loud and whining at this slightest setback

I slump down in a squat to think and fret
I could wait until I am missed – but then
            who would know where to look, and I won’t shout
            or shriek or yell, not even to get out
I could stay until someone else comes in
for any reason.  How long will that be? 
No, I must rescue myself. Yes, that’s it!
            I must make a move now – figure it out
I start hurried groping in total, perfect dark
I feel poles, sticks, boards, baskets and more pots
some of which I might use to pry the door –  
brace it up – make a space to slide me through 

I carry a heavy stick to the door 
doubling my strength, I push against the weight
enough to slide the stick in between and
persist, pace by pace, to build my path up
toward the light and when I’ve opened a gap
I carefully squeeze my whole body out – 
I’m through! I stand wet, gasping, I see it – 
            a shape lying beside the cellar door 
where someone has dropped a huge, heavy bag
of potatoes by carelessness or with
intent to hurt me, I can’t be certain

But it does not matter.  I have rescued 
myself, released myself, set myself free
            and if I can do this, I think, then I
            can leave this place – these people – someday soon
They cannot hold me here against my will
I do not know how I will leave or when
but I will           Yes, I will          I will 
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No one asks where I have been all these hours
No one notices any change in me
They don’t see that I am already gone
            packed up, no goodbyes, no tears – on the run

That night . . .
I sail toward the ones already at sea
breaking through freezing spray and shuddering waves
my diamond prow splits ice – trails jagged shards
I can hear the shanties on the shrill wind
                        I am coming         I am coming
                        though my wings are pinned
I am headed home – out of nearby dark
My tribe will know me by our common mark
My bow is pointed toward my own country
white wings tacking toward pale eternity

A single journey – a voyage of One
Four thousand years of sailing the sea way
Landless gull contouring the dusky waves
simply and truly exploring toward home
I think back on shores of driftwood and stone
beaten by clear ice and salt-crusted waves
under heaving heart of white-breasted foam
and the graceful ribbed flesh of wild ocean

When I wake, sadness is wider between
who I am and that bright sailor to be
A wider gap between the steps I walk
and the others I want to leave behind.
I say little to them that is not shouts
They favor me with the same, and I just
dream and wait, and brew my future alone
by the dark-found compass I’ll always trust




In the bright days after summer I sit
before the next teacher – just another
in a long line of them, droning and dull.
I drum my fingers, hang my head, look out
and away – far away – from him and books,
tune my ears to muffle his sound drowning  
this old puddle drying up from white-hot
silver-wire tone – this constant colored dance
my faithful note of hidden consonance

Most others around me sit up straight like
the blunt and obedient ones they are
Some slant their disapproving looks toward me
Most do not notice, do not care, or worse
Only one person holds my attention
            and we exchange glances full of meaning
            but speak only with signifying eyes
sharing a secret that is understood

When we are let out like so many sheep
            I approach the stranger and give my name
“Jani’s mine. J-A-N-I, like Jan plus
             an eye.” underscored with index fingers
            pointing to each green eye, and going on,
  “I’m glad you are here.  You aren’t like the rest.”

  “Two months we’ve been here because we had to
 leave the last place – something my brother did
           is all I know.  This town is nothing like
                        where I’m from – even its name is real dumb.
  Who’d think of naming a place Sparrowtown?”

“I know,” I say. “Imagine living here
            since you were born – like me – trapped, chained and stuck
                        with idiots pointing and making fun
            You are lucky to be from somewhere else.  

We laugh together and avoid 
the others playing with sticks and red balls
“What a bunch of kids they are,” I turn.
“Look at them,” I pronounce. “We’ve got to find
            better places to spend our time, all right.”  
 “I know!” says Jani stamping a foot hard.
“Since most the time we’re with this old teacher,
            let’s go and tell him how boring he is.”
“We can’t do that!”
“Why not?”
I think hard ‘why not’ but I come up dry
So, shrugging my shoulders I say, “Let’s try.”

Silently I’m disappointed if this
is the best Jani can do.  I’d started 
to think here might be someone like me who 
could show the path to get away.  But I 
say nothing because what Jani has said 
is better than the nothing in my head 

We find the old teacher sitting reading
a book under a tree.  He looks up when
we wander toward him – Jani first – then me
“Hello there,” he says, but doesn’t get up
Yet he closes his yellow-paged book and
waits for us to say more – to say why we
are here standing around scuffling our feet.

Suddenly, Jani puts hands on hips, glares
and says, “You’re boring.  We thought you should know!”
Jani’s voice makes me brave and I pipe up,
“Yeah!  You’re boring.  You’ve blathered enough!”
The teacher nods, puts a finger to lips,
tilts his head right, eyes slide up and to left.
He rises slowly.  We take two steps back.
More silence. What are we trying to prove?
We three stand there, no one making a move

The teacher strokes his chin, looks down on us
“Yes.  I wondered when you two would notice
I’ve been waiting for you since the year’s start
Good!  Now what do you think we three should do?”

Jani and I look at each other, stunned
This is not at all what we expected
but then we hadn’t really thought this out.
I poke Jani signaling something needs
to be said and with eyebrows say I’m not
the smarter one whose idea this is

“We’re different, you know,” Jani says at last.
“We are not like the others,” I chime in.
“I saw that right away,” says the teacher.
(He is serious, I begin to think.)
“We’re not interested in playing with balls,”
says Jani puffing up and standing tall
and straight and shifting shoulders left and right
“What interests you?” the smiling teacher asks.
Jani looks at me.  The hot coal’s been passed.
The sound in my head flares up in a blast
              That means something’s here, I say to myself
“We want something different from what they get.”
Jani looks at me with a furrowed brow.
The teacher nods, “Of course! You are clearly 
different from every student who is here!”

This makes me blink, rapidly shake my head
but I won’t show I don’t know what he’s said.
“Yes. Right.” I tender. “But can you give it?”
Jani stares – drops out of the verbal joust.
The teacher purses his lips, nods twice, looks
straight at me and says, “Yes, but not in books.”
Now as if shaken out of a deep sleep
            the teacher remarks, “Look what time it is!”
He turns and strides long, clapping his big hands
            a slow rhythm that gathers others in
            from their balls and games, and Jani and I
bring up the rear most certainly chagrined
Jani hisses in my ear, “What’s all this!?”
“What stupid game have you got us into?”
            I return the sizzle, pushing Jani
“You’re the one who started it, oh great brain!”
“But there’s no telling what he will do now!”
“That is the point.  Or are you backing out?”
“You can count on me. I’m all in with you.
You are so right; we can’t know what he’ll do.”

But I’ve decided to see where this goes.
Back in the room, all the sheep take their seats
            but Jani and I stand right at the back
The teacher ignores us – pulls out a book
Things we study seem the same as before
but now something is changed.  Something is more.
I can’t help listening and watching for clues.  
Jani droops, head on chest – pretends to snooze

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Three days go by much the same.  Finally, I
cannot stand it and it is clear to me
that the teacher and Jani are content
to ignore us talking under the tree.
I tell Jani what I intend to do.
“Go ahead.  Suit yourself.  Pick that old bone.”
Jani’s parting words as I’m left alone

At the third day’s end all are gone but me
and the sphinxlike teacher straightening up
He shuffles papers – doesn’t look my way
I make a noise in my throat to signal
I’m here but I get no response or talk

Finally, I can stand it no more and I
scuffle toward the tall old man who now is
humming a quick tune to himself.  I must
stand staring right at his chest before he
sees me and then he simply looks and waits.
Well, I’m here now and have to say something!
This old man will wait until I am dead!
I scrunch my shoulders – give my forehead lines
I put my left hand on my hip and look
            up straight into his glittering gray eyes

“You said you could,” is all I’ll say, hoping
in this way to force him to speak out first
“Could what?” he says. His eyebrows rise an inch
“Give us something different,” I coolly say.
“Oh yes! But of course! But who is this ‘us’?
 I see only you.  Where is your young friend?”
He shades his eyes – looks over empty room

“It is only me,” I say quietly
He pauses, exhales slowly, says, “I see.”
More silence – I begin to feel a fool
I turn and make to run away, but his
big hand holds my shoulder and whirls me round.
“Very well.  Let’s begin! You looked. You found.”




My teacher drops to the floor, sits cross-legged

and suddenly, towering over him this

feels all wrong – not my place but my head hums

in my ears, so he has to be the one

This keeps me from startling like a scared dog
I slowly sink down silent facing him
I hear chirping rustling birds in green vines
outside open windows there is no time

The teacher cocks his head inquiringly
as if to ask the time or direction
I see he will wait to dust for me to
be the first to speak, so like the one-note
peeping sparrows clinging to the trembling
vines, I whisper, “Something different you said.”
“Oh that! Of course! Of course!” he cheeps right back
Now in a deep and serious voice, “but that
depends on the difference you are wanting.”
Anger flares up in me. I flush and glower
            Old frustrating heap of locked up secrets!
            I want to beat his chest with hot, balled fists
                        and demand he tell what he’s hiding
            Just now thesound presses heavy inside
            my thoughts, shifting my intention to more
                        cunning ways.  I will drag this old man out
                        if it takes all night and another day!

I breathe in long and exhale. “You said you
could see that we are different.  How is that?”

My seeming simple question undams floods
of rushing words banked by two wild gesturing
hands that shape and flutter their meaning so 
I am not sure whether to follow them
or listen, and settle in to try both

“Well, let us speak not of two but just you
since your good friend isn’t presently here.”
I make a point not to speak of others
when they are not here.  It seems low stealing
of information that is owed elsewhere.
So, as you ask, I will speak of only 
one – that is, of you – the one sitting close.
I can see your treasures bright as any
gold hoard piled high in a sly dragon’s cave.”
A dream-scent of a dark green cave wafts just
                        under my nose.  Owl-like I blink both eyes.
            He doesn’t notice as he rumbles on

“You are one who’s so different that even
a blind one can see your light, feel your heat.
Such ones as you make others ill at ease
in their compared darkness, but you mistake
your light for a kind of dimness.  You try
to hide yourself, but like a blazing lamp
inside a slatted box your beams slant out
and paint the darkness.  Such is your quickening.”

I almost catch his meaning. At least I
            feel its good intention, but I’m puzzled
He sees my knitted brow and stops his talk.
Silently, he nods, shakes his head, and says,
“My friend, forgive me. I’ll contain myself.
You see your good light dazzles me as well
You were born of stars and to the stars you
belong, but between, you find yourself here.”
He pauses, looks out the vine-hung window.


“Do you hear that sparrow singing out there?”
“I hear many chirps. There is more than one.”
            But silently I wonder how he knows
            that I’ve been listening to these noisy birds
“Yes, you are right, but listen closer now.
Do you hear a difference among those birds?”

I close my eyes and listen hard like when
I focus on my inside sound and this
helps me hear each bird amid the many
Soon I hear one who though farther off is
chirping madly as if alarmed or with
something most urgent to communicate
.
“Yes, now I hear one making more noise by
herself.  She may see some danger they don’t.”
“Perhaps,” he says, “or perhaps he sounds for
other reasons.  It matters that you hear.”
“So what?” I say and toss my head as if
dismissing and move on to bigger things.
“Your voice is like that white-throated sparrow.”
He leans close to speak the unfurled secret.
“Your need to sing is much stronger because
you see so much.  You will never settle
for anything but the wide world and its
potent song and you will go to any
length to hear it.  Just so, you are different.”
Something in me feels his meaning because
            such words have come before in nightshade dreams.
            where I’ve mapped familiar sea and star ways

The odd teacher speaks more, leaning closely
“Like these sparrows we all share some outward
common feathers.  But in our sparrow-hearts
lie the difference a kindred bird can see.
Most people are content among the vines 
and branches close to home, but you are not . . .”

“I hate this place!  I hate all these people!”
My voice roars out before I can stop it
but I’m not sorry now the words are out

“It is quite natural for your time.  Some day
you may remember us with something more.”
“I have to leave!”         “You will soon enough.”
“Do you think so?”      “You can count on it.”
“But when?”                “The instant you’re truly ready.”
“When will that be?”   “You will know for certain.
            Now excuse me.  I’ve lessons to prepare.”


I am relieved that this is ending for
tears are welling up and my throat is thick.
“We can meet for talks often, if you like,”
he says as we rise.  I nod twice sharply.
“For now, remember who you are and that
all is right with you.  When people say things
otherwise, it’s what’s in them, not in you.”
 “Thanks.” I can barely whisper and turn and 
hurry out the door in early twilight

My feet make light upon the path away
I am thinking hard of stars and small birds
Of the dragon words he spoke, one on one
            to me, not Jani, and unexpected
            leaning against an oak tree glowering
Jani waiting, looking down, kicking dirt





I call out and Jani strides to meet me.
“I’m surprised you waited for me, Jani.”
“Oh, there was nothing else to do right now.”
            (Fortunately, seeing Jani stand there
                        stanches my tears – dried deep behind my eyes
            If Jani notices anything wrong
                        no words rise to name it or question me)
“Well, what’d the old man have to say to you?”
Jani asks as we walk toward the edge of town
“He talked of birds!” I say with mocking tone
(I do not want to talk of sparrows’ hearts)
“Birds!?” Jani says scrunching nose, crumpling brow
“Yeah. That’s all,” I say and Jani drops it



We grab at weeds along the Outskirts Road.
I assume – but do not ask – that Jani
is not expected home – the same as me
I decide to press again on Jani
“So, why did you wait for me by that tree?”
“I thought we could do something fun – maybe—
if there is such a thing in this dull town.”
“Just what did you have in mind for us now?”
“Well, I like to climb. Where I come from, we
had high bridges over rivers, and hills
to sit up high and look for miles and miles.”
I think hard because Chickopee is laid  
out flat and boring as a tabletop
            (Somehow pleasing Jani feels important)
“There is a lookout tower over there,” 
I say then quickly add, “but we are not 
supposed to climb up on it anyway.”
“Just the thing,” clucks Jani, eyes brightening now
“I’ve climbed it once or twice,” I lie to hide
the fear prickling up my neck.  “But someone’s
there now until sunset, Then it’s too late.”
            (I’m sure I’ve wiggled out of Jani’s trap.)
“We can wait and, in the meantime, we can
make a kite and tail to fly from the top.”
“A kite? That’s something a kid would play with.”
“You leave that part to me. Come on! Let’s go!”
Jani turns back toward town trotting briskly
            (I might as well see what happens I think
            as I lope stride-for-stride beside my friend)
As we enter village roads, Jani looks
from side to side conjuring the kite parts
Now stealthy as a stalking cat, Jani
bends forward, runs ‘longside a windowed house
I follow slinking.  At the back, some clothes
and rags are strung out on a line to dry
In a flash, Jani pulls a three-inch knife
and with the quickness of a practiced thief
slits the line – wads the bundle under arm.
With less sound than riffled leaves, we’re away

I can’t believe what we have done in less
time than I could even think, and we’re away
from the thieving place, I stare slack-jawed, shocked
at Jani’s determined, untroubled face
A mile out, slowing to a trotting gait
I’m still dumbfounded at what we have done
“What’s the matter?” Jani asks sincerely
“Oh nothing!” I say sarcastically. “ ‘Cept 
we’ve just transformed into thieves and I think
my father knows the people in that house.”
“First time, eh?” Jani’s grin slides through thin lips.
“Well . . . yes,” I say for that’s the truth of it
“Don’t worry,” says the thief, “You’ll get used to it.”
“If you say so,” I taunt and sneer. “But tell
me how can we make a kite out of that!?”
“Watch and learn,” crows the experienced teacher

We leave the path and hide behind a shed
Jani wields the knife and with expert strokes
slashes the cloth into long ragged strips
The sound of splitting shirts tears at my heart
I say nothing of my thoughts: My father
could have worn that shirt.  A poorer friend used
those rags.  The waste of it sours my gut, but
I only think and watch and sit with this.
Jani fashions an ugly kite complete
with crippled tail.  “Won’t ever fly, “I warn 
“Maybe not,” says this sometimes-honest thief
“Let’s go see.  Where’s this dangerous tower of yours?”
“That way,” I say pointing west where the sun’s
already half behind the trees.  “Come on.”

Now I’m the one who shepherds us onward
My leaden feet keep moving toward what’s next
Soon we stand beneath the wooden tower
No one else there in the deepening darkness
“Since you’ve climbed before, you go ahead up.”
“All right,” and I grab the wobbly ladder
My hands sweat and slip and my heart races
Half-way up my knees start to shake.  I stop.
Below, I see Jani has the harder 
climb lugging line and tattered cloth – kite tail
trailing down. This doesn’t seem to trouble
Jani whose gleaming eyes spark above white
teeth clamped down and holding the three-inch knife
We reach the platform at the top where night’s
cool breeze plays stronger than on ground – my breath
short, and rapid – my ears on stems for shouts
from below, but I can’t hear over my 
panting and my heart pounding in my ears.

Jani, on the other hand, appears fresh
 – exhilarated – hair tousled wildly
The energy’s contagious and my crime
takes on smaller shape as I let fall free
my guilt, a small dead bird, from this tower
“Hey, this is great!” chirps Jani.  “Almost like
the view back home.  Well . . . add some mountains and
a bigger river running down valleys . . .
well . . . it is not the same but I don’t care!”

I am silent at the expanse of land
sprawling out around.  I have never seen
half so much before and it makes me see
that I’ve been right about this town of mine
It’s even smaller than I thought it was
the lights pale sputtering flames ending day
the house I live in somewhere in that gray
            Roads invisible –  sound all gone away
How can I live constrained to this tight place?
wind skittering through leaving crumbled yellow
dust, when I belong on the deep green sea?
I feel sticky tongues darting out to catch
me – the bug– sliding down a long dark throat . . .

“Help me!” Jani says, untangling cloth and line.”
I’ve lost interest in the kite at this point
but I’m not going anywhere alone
and Jani is shrouded like a mummy 
in the kite commotion so I bend down 
sit on the platform and unwind the toy
Soon we have it straight and it’s time to sail
We pay out line across the wood railing
kite wings nothing like white sails in my dreams
this kid’s toy a poor tattered used up thing
that flops and gasps like a gutted fish

“Come on, Jani.  Grow up. There’s more than this.”
“Just wait! Just wait. the breeze is coming up!”
Jani wags the dangling kite – a long-shed
snake’s skin, a shade of life but after death
“Come on.  Let’s go.”  I start down the steep steps
“Wait! There it goes!” Jani waggles harder
so hard the streamers catch the tower’s brace
and clutch it like a frightened kid clinging
tightly to his mother’s gray-skirted leg

“Oh shit!” stamps Jani. “Now I’ll have to use
my knife.” I see this is a happy thing
as under the guardrail Jani swings down
clambering catlike, the kite-freer, unafraid
clamps knife between teeth again and grabs out
horizontally making for the brace
“Watch out!” I feel compelled to shout although
a fall now might improve this thieving day
No response from Jani now clinging to
the crossbar and cutting twine – reaching ‘round
to unwrap it – now a high-wire rodent 
Jani hugs the rigid pole and sliding
to the next support as I reach the ground
I look to see if I can help from here
but I am shaking for my own safety
not for Jani, slashing like a banshee
sailor freeing shrouds and sails from off dark
timbers standing tall against rowdy winds
I cannot help but wish I were Jani
so wild, so free – with knife between white teeth
slicing shroudsfrom off the standing rigging
            and I –cowardly grounded down below

Halfway down Jani steps on a crossbar
            a crack – a break – the wooden finger’s rotten
                        and Jani a sudden stone falling fast
                        kite tail in both hands – knife thuds beside me
Jani dangling like a deep-hooked sea fish
                        slamming hard against the upright tower pole
Cold sweat shiver-beads, sliding down my back
            as I – safe and helpless – watch my dangling 
friend who descends again, swift and thrilling
                        fearless insect clasping tower with legs and arms
                        ‘round the steady mast of the wooden pole

I inhale hard as I see disaster
coming, and Jani again but slower
more descending to where I stand waiting
among the tatters of the kite come down
Jani reaches ground breathing hard, sweat-soaked
shirt and bleeding hands that reach down quickly
for the three-inch knife as for a diamond
“That was great!” gasps Jani trembling lower lip
“Yea, why not die today,” I say half envious
“Don’t be a sparrow!” the reply half spit

As we head back into town, thrilled and tired
I want so much to be my daring friend
who climbs dangerous towers and who does not fear
a violent pitch into sudden darkness
who lives wild as if breath will never end

No comments:

Post a Comment